Guest Blogger, Alex Whitehead
Time management (only a little compulsive)
The advantage of compulsive time management is that I get a lot done in my day. The downside is that I sometimes feel like a robot. I know that coming to practice every morning is a luxury and not a penance. Sometimes I forget though.
Daily schedule (Monday-Friday):
4:30am -- rise, bathe, caffeinate, cleanse
5:54am -- leave house
6:12am -- arrive studio
8:20am -- end practice, bathe, change, toil on death star
5:15pm -- leave work
5:50pm -- home, shoes off, slouchy clothes applied, feed self
6:30pm -- guitar practice
8:00pm -- pack clothes, yoga bits in bag, pack lunch etc
8:30pm -- bed
*Tuesdays: all of the above plus my guitar lesson at 5:30
*Fridays: often have booze programmed in the evening especially since no work/yoga in morning.
• The only day I sleep in past 7 am.
• Saturday is good for making up missed guitar practice time during the week, doing laundry etc. The more housekeeping done on Saturday allows for a more relaxed Sunday. Time after yoga for coffee, for example.
• Saturday evening is the ideal time for getting groceries (have awesome red granny style grocery cart I pull behind me. People in cars look on jealously.)
• Up at 7 am to allow for pre-yoga caffeination, bathe, etc.
• Practice and then coffee with some delightful humans.
• Home, 2 hrs guitar.
• Prepare food for the week: salad and fruit salads.
SUNDAY COOKING SCHEDULE --
• Salad includes mixed greens, spinach, green beans, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, feta, pepper, carrots, onions, radish, grilled chicken, turkey bacon, home made croutons.
• Fruit salad - cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, mango, grapes. This varies depending on season and quality of fruit available. No strawberries this week. Mango’s will break your heart -- they are so beautiful when good and so so so sad when bad or mediocre. Any fruit salad leftover gets frozen and turned into smoothies later.
*** NOTE: There is a cost to this approach. The cost is a slight monastic lifestyle. I am mostly fine with that but many may find it austere.***
Total underdesk inventory: Boots - worn and slightly soiled; Shorts - (not visible); Bumble bee yellow sleevless shirt; Yogitoes - green, threadbare and frankly, nasty; Teatowel - principally used to facilitate the least graceful marichyasana D ever.