Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Forgetting our learning

It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know.  
~Henry David Thoreau 
It seems like I’ve been practicing the jump back for months, and with little progress. I’m starting to wonder if maybe my body simply isn’t built to do it.

Then yesterday, my teacher pointed out that when I attempt to jump back, my elbows are too close to my body as I land in chaturanga.



He said I have to move my arms away from my side about two inches -- and that I won’t be able to jump back until I can do this! This tiny shift turns out to be much harder on my arms and I am SORE today.

I like having this new focus. My practice has been feeling static lately, but last night and this morning I recognized that feeling of anticipation and excitement that I had lost.

This is why we need teachers (including doctors)… to point out what we cannot see, help us forget what we have learned, and teach us to build the correct habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment