“Better is one’s own law though imperfectly carried out than the law of another carried out perfectly.”
5 things I’m imperfectly carrying out right now:
- Career choice: Do I chase the conventional markers of success (high paying specialty) or pursue my interests and passions (which may be less prestigious)?
- Relationship timeline: Do I attempt to fit into the traditional timeline of dating, engagement, marriage, babies by mid-30’s (aaah!) or let go of that and follow the timeline that works for my life?
- Yoga practice: Do I stick to the strict ashtanga practice every or sometimes skip around, add, and experiment?
- Food: Do I follow a specific dietary set of rules (vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, raw, yogic, etc) or follow my own system that works for me (and which might be subject to change)?
- Meditation practice: Do I sit in lotus position for a specified amount of time or do I allow for different approaches (such as getting up and going for a mindful run)?
I think I like being an imperfectionist.