Thursday, April 29, 2010

Morning mysore in schools

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." ~John Cage 

Roosevelt high school in Wyoming starts the day with a workout (and not just students… teachers join in as well). 15-20 minutes of sweat breaking exercise, then off to work (no time to shower).

Since starting this morning exercise routine, the school has seen reading performance improve dramatically.

This program was inspired by Dr. John Ratey and his book “Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain,” where he talks about how exercise leads to the growth and remodeling of the brain.  


As one teacher said, “the culture at Roosevelt supports wellness and fitness… It’s not unusual now for a student to leave history class, run around the outside of the building and return to the classroom focused.”

We need more schools to follow their lead! 

How about morning mysore in schools? Everyone (teachers included) could grab a mat and pile into the gym for practice. I bet that would improve test scores!

2 comments:

  1. agreed. I work as a yoga teacher and also as a worksite wellness practitioner. I've recently started bringing yoga to the worksite but because of time limitations I don't get to work them up into a sweaty froth. I wish I could! I feel my job is to introduce them to the great feelings yoga generates and hope they get into the studio. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey anna! so nice to hear from you (and I like your blog!). A worksite wellness practitioner?! I like the sound of that!!! (do you ever work in hospitals?)

    ReplyDelete