Weekend project: make a compost bin.
It seems pretty easy (thanks to another useful wikiHow!):
- Get a plastic bin with tight lid (to keep bugs out and soil moist)
- Drill 8-10 small holes in the bottom and 8-10 small holes in lid (for aeration)
- Put some shredded newspaper or dry leaves at the bottom, fill ~1/8-1/4 full
- Place dirt on top of the newspaper/leaves until bin is 1/2 full
- Keep compost bin in a shady area
- Place food scraps/paper products in compost bin
- Cover food scraps with dirt
- Stir bin every other day (keep moist with water if needed)
- Within 2-3 months, you can use compost to cover flower beds, pot soil, sprinkle on grass, etc!