Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Aversion to relaxing

Hard practice today… sore, slow, my mind in other places.

I blamed it on the recent cold rainy weather and my poor sleep. “Tomorrow will be better,” my teacher said.

I rushed through the finishing postures – barely a shoulder stand, a few breaths in headstand, and a quick savasana (the final rest).

Afterwards my teacher came up to me, “You have to take a longer savasana… It’s all related.” The difficult practice, the not sleeping, the rushing through the finishing postures.

“You have an aversion to relaxing,” he said.

“I have an aversion to relaxing?” Yes.

He is right. This is something I can be blind to, something I need to work on.

What I think is most important about this: his observation is something my primary care doctor (if I had one) would never have noticed this about me. It is only in my daily practice with him that he sees my habits and tendencies… allowing him to identify and correct them.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are such the great multi-tasker! But sometimes the constant juggling can put us out of synch. Fortunately, there is always the breath to bring you back and to slow you down - both in and out of the shala. :)

    ReplyDelete